Monday, October 26, 2009

The Miracle of the Harness

Kipper has always been a little, shall we say, boisterous when walking him. Basically, I would take him for a walk, he would pull on the lead, sometimes pulling the leash right out of my hands. Like the time he pulled it and it got caught on the black rubber landscaping material of my neighbor's yard. I'm not sure the neighbor lady appreciated it. We were actually able to catch him that time.

So, after having to go the doctor for recurring knee issues, I decided not to walk him anymore.

Six months later, Kipper developed very dry skin around his neck. This area was aggravated by his collar. Someone suggested using a harness instead of a traditional collar. After figuring out the various attachments, I got it on him. Reading the manual, the harness promised to make control of your dog when walking him a breeze. I decided to try it out. To my amazement, Kipper could no longer pull me off my feet when he saw a dog within 200 feet of us!

So, I've started walking him again. Usually he doesn't even try to pull. When he does get excited and pulls, he ends up doing what resembles a somersault with a twist. Nadia Comaneci would be proud. Finally, after all these years, it is possible to walk my dog without having to worry about those pricey surgery bills.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, the harness is pretty effective. Too bad it's not as easy for me to pull him out of the window though, lol.

    ReplyDelete