Monday, September 21, 2009

A New Friend

We walked into the animal shelter with heavy hearts. Beloved Buffy had passed away a week earlier, and we longed to hear the scampering of a dog in our home again.

The dogs barked and jumped as they vied for our attention. All but one pooch who sat still and simply regarded me with his big brown sad eyes. He had long reddish-brown ears that looked like silk. He was white with spots the color of his ears and a stub tail. I found out he was a Brittany Spaniel.

I knew Springer Spaniels were nice, calm, and well-behaved dogs. I figured this dog would be similar in temperament and obedience. After a quick walk outside (he seemed a little rowdy), his eyes got the best of me and I decided I wanted to take him home. We signed the paperwork and took him out to the van.

My oldest son was about 5. He was not immediately enamored with this new dog. My husband came up with the idea to name him Kipper, after the cartoon dog my son adored. My son seemed to take to him more now that we named him.

It seemed we'd found the perfect dog.

When we got home, we discovered he'd peed in the van. We chalked it up to first day jitters. But more surprises were in store as we started our adventure as the owners of Kipper...Stay tuned for the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment