Monday, September 21, 2009

Joy of Everyday Life

The wind is howling. The door slams closed. Chimes sing outside my window. A train goes by in the distance. These are the things of my everyday life. A warm cup of tea. A partly sunny sky. The click of the keys as I type. The squeak of the space key. The joyful anticipation of the kids returning from school in an hour or so. A train whistle announces the train in the distance. It lasts long. Now the chimes repeat, intermixed with the tweet of the birds calling each other. The warmth of the sunroom. A comfortable chair. I look up and see my plants growing tall. The grass seems greener than yesterday. The screen around the gazebo billows in the breeze. Too windy to write out there today.

It is true that the little things in life can bring the greatest joy. A nutritious and delicious meal. A tulip opening. The dog sighing. The cat cleaning his paws contentedly. The bounce of the basketball as the neighbor kids play. The comfort of my bed. The sunshine, rain, snow, or mist. The chill that lets me know I’m alive. The laughter of a baby. The coo of a dove. The warm embrace of my husband--the smell of his shaving lotion or feel of his whiskers. The satisfaction of work completed. The freshness as I emerge from the shower. A clean countertop. A beautiful homemade pie. A colorful and crunchy yummy salad. Fresh baked bread. An afternoon nap or just a lie down. A phone call from a friend. A phone call to a friend. A shared giggle. Watching a kite or a child blow bubbles (or blowing them yourself!). A friendly wave or “hello.” An empathetic nod. A cooling breeze. A warm fire. Eating smores and getting sticky. The anticipation of date night with my husband. A beautiful sunset or sunrise. A lake, ocean, river, or stream. A robin searching for worms. Sparrows in flight. A hungry belly anticipating a good meal. A cool drink of water. An unexpected kiss on the cheek. The soft skin of a baby. The furriness of my dog. Sitting in a golf chair, watching my son play baseball. Sitting in the bleachers, watching my other son play hockey. Cheering. Snacking. Going to water aerobics and feeling great.

These are the simple, wonderful gifts God gives me. They may be small, but they fill my world with laughter and joy and sometimes sadness or frustration, but the point is that my life is full. Overflowing and poured out just as God promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment